Monday, May 26, 2008

Pictures Speak Loudly

I just came across this article from TIME, What The World Eats. A collection of photos from around the world showing what a family eats (and their cost per week), linked off Ali Edward's blog. I thought it was very interesting to see families from around the world and the actual foods they buy and consume in one week's time. I'm not sure how representative each of the pictures are for the entire population of the country. If I were still teaching I would print all these pictures out and use them for some sort of lesson. I can think of like 10 different lessons off the top of my head that these pictures could be used for.

It would be interesting to gather all the foods bought and consumed in our family within one week and take a picture and generate a total. I guess that would have to include any food eaten out as well. What a great lesson to teach your children on "Living History."

Here is a picture that I took several weeks ago that speaks loudly to me.



This is a remaining field across the street from our neighborhood. I have never lived so close to farm land until we moved to North AL. Apparently after the fall harvest, farmers plant wheat grass in their fields to bale for hay. As you drive around this area you see fields of lush green waist high grass everywhere. This week I've noticed that the grass is turning yellow, so I'm sure it is a matter of time before it is plowed down and corn and cotton plants replace it.

I thought the perspective on this particular picture was neat, because you can see progress moving onto this remaining field with the house framework in the background. They are building a neighborhood on the other side. I'm sure it won't be too much longer before this field is a covered with houses or retail stores.

1 comment:

Lelia said...

Wow! That's a very interesting article. Thanks for sharing.