Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy 4th

I hope everyone enjoys their 4th of July weekend!


Here is my card for Laura's sketch 3 this week at 2Sketches4You. This is a hybrid card. I created a star clipping mask in Photoshop and applied this blue paper. The journal block is a brush I got somewhere, and then added text layers. Printed out blue star, cut, and embellished. I have had so much fun playing along with their card sketches the past month!

We are hoping to find some great fireworks displays around here. That means getting lots of pictures. This week for the photography lessons Jenney and I are doing at Scrap4Life, I posted a mini lesson on taking fireworks pictures. If you are interested...

Ok, so the 4th of July is coming up this week and that means lots of pretty fireworks displays going on around the country. This would be a great opportunity to "play" with your camera. I will try to share some tips to help you take beautiful pictures whether you have a point and shoot camera or an SLR camera.

#1 Use a tripod to steady your camera! This will help prevent a blurred image. If you don't have a tripod try setting your camera on a table, wall, etc to look through and push the shutter button.
#2 Turn off your flash. It won't do you any good shooting fireworks in the distance anyway.
#3 Some point and shoot cameras have a fireworks mode...switch it on and give it a shot.
#4 The key is to allow a long exposure time to fully capture the firework blast. This is where an SLR will come in handy.

Now to better explain this, go read this tutorial. They do a better job explaining than I can!
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-photograph-fireworks/

If you want to play along with our photography lessons, check out the site on Monday, and I will have a new lesson.

6 comments:

tiggertastic said...

Fantastic Card, Excellent work

Sarah x

Laura Davis said...

Great take on my sketch!!!
Thanks for playing:)
Laura

Daniela Dobson said...

I love this! Great way to use a journaling brush. Love the star!

**Nancy** said...

wow, Elizabeth! I love the card! I'm gonna have to give that a try!!! I so need to learn Photoshop!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I was thinking about you and remembering when we watched fireworks the night before your wedding! Hope you guys had a great day! :-)
Becky :-)

Lea L. said...

Awesome patriotic card!! I love it! Great job with the sketch!

~Lea