I have lots of possible ideas to share, but I want to know what people really want to know and learn how to do. Here are some possible topics I've thought of:
*Changing a picture to b&w/sepia (There are numerous ways to get slightly different results)
*Selective Color (B&w photo with an element left in color)
*Hand tinting
*Using actions for special effects
*Blurring distracting backgrounds
*Removing color tints..i.e. yellow
*Touching up blemishes
*Dodging shadows and burning highlights
*Using digital borders/overlays
*Using brushes
*Vignetting and/or creating blurred edges
*Using layer masks in photoshop
*Creating collages and/or storyboards
*Sizing pictures to different sizes to be printed out...i.e. printing 2-2"x3" on a 4"x6" photo.
*Online sites and sources for getting digital borders, brushes, actions, etc.
Ok, I am begging for input, even if you have no desire or are unable to attend the class your input on what you would like to learn would be very helpful to me. If there is something I didn't list that you would like to know about, please let me know!! For everyone that leaves me a comment, I will put their name in a drawing for a handmade goodie from me.
Even more incentive...Anyone that calls ScrapEtc (205) 985-9323 and signs up for the class, I will send them a handmade goodie. Leave me a comment if you sign up!
Now here is your free photo information for the day...
I have added the next lesson to the photography forum over at Scrap4Life. This lesson deals with understanding shutter speed.
Ok, this lesson is going to be a bit more technical and will require you to get out your camera and play with some manual settings. *GASP*
Shutter speed controls how long the lens lets the light in. This number is indicated by fractions of a second on your camera. It is measured in 1 to 1/3000 or less. If you the picture is taken at 1/50 it means 1/50th of a second. If it is taken at 1/500 it means 1/500th of a second. 1/500 being a much faster speed.
Shutter speed can help you stop action in your photo or blur the action. If you have ever gotten a picture where your subject was blurred because of movement, it was because the shutter speed was set too low.
When taking portraits and everyday photos, as a general rule I try to keep the shutter speed at least 50 or 1/50 to prevent movement blur in photos. When working with lower speeds it is recommended that you use a tripod to prevent camera shake as well.
The best way to learn how shutter speed affects the photos you take, you can turn your DSLR camera on the TV mode. This is a partially automatic setting. You will be able to control the desired shutter speed and the camera will choose the best aperture or f-stop value to properly expose the photo. If you have never done this before, on my camera, there is a little wheel in front of the shutter release button that allows me to move up or down on the scale. Remember when setting the settings on the camera a value of 100 on your screen refers to 1/100th of a second, on the reverse side, when you start seeing a value like 2"5 that refers to 2 1/2 seconds, a much longer exposure time.
Now here comes your learning experience... Find some consistent movement. One of the easiest things to work with is running water, be it a faucet, fountain, or waterfall. Then start setting your camera at different speeds and see what images you are able to capture. The faster the speed, you should capture water droplet before they fall, at the slower speeds you should be able to blur the running water.
Here are some examples

1/250; f/1.4; 50mm; 100 iso

1/30; f/5.6; 50mm; 200 iso

1/8; f/11; 50mm; 200 iso

1/5; f/13; 50mm; 200 iso
Other possible subjects to try are children playing sports or running in motion, leaves falling from trees, carnival/amusement rides, etc.
Last year I had Savannah throw leaves up in the air and I practiced shutter speed as they fell.

1/3200; f/1.4, 50mm, 100iso

1/3200; f/1.4, 50mm, 100iso
(Not really the best # combination, but I was still learning)
If you learned anything and were able to practice with this, please share your results with me! =)
5 comments:
How Cool! I don't know if I'll be able to attend the class or not, but I would love to learn more about dodging shadows/burning highlights, hand tinting (I'm not even sure what that is...but it sounds cool), and lighting set up for the portable home studio! Love the blog, can't wait til the class....maybe I'll get to come!
I think the list you created is perfect. I see alot of "commonly asked question" type things listed in the curriculum. I'm interested in brushes and shadows. And of course the lighting aspect. Maybe something about adding text as a layer? Layering? That's more of a photoshop thing vs. photography but you know what I mean. Hope I can attend!
Oh, I LOVE those pics of S. I can just hear her squealing :-)
Where do I start? (literally) I have the cameras, photoshop and PSP. I am one of those "leave it automatic mode" because I haven't taken the time to practice. I also know a little about photoshop like red eye, brightness, etc. but there are so many basic things that I just get frustrated just trying to learn. I want to learn a little about digital scrapbooking but I have got to get the basics down beforehand.
So . . . hopefully this will give you some ideas of what I personally need and there may be some others out there just like me.
Hey girl! You know this is all foreign to me. I have trouble with lighting.. For example, what to do if I am inside/outside at certain times of the day/nite..For ex. being at the Yankees game at nite. Inside under certain lights..
Next, I have the red eye reduction on but I still seem to get red eyes in my px...
Also,I think it may be helpful to show us what you do when you put px on the computer.. Help us to understand photoshop a little better..
thanx!! Great Idea!!
Post a Comment