Thanks to my wonderful, always willing to help me, can do anything, mother, half of my painting chore for the house in now done. We have a system down where I tape off and paint around ceiling and trim and she rolls the walls with paint. She says I don't load the roller with enough paint. Haha. (Complex I know, hate to waste too much) We gave the dining room a fresh coat of red "Salsa" paint. The previous owners had tried to patch holes and paint over them ending up in splotches all over the wall. The darker shade looks so much fresher! Next we painted the office/scrapbook room. I wanted a light shade of blue to blend with the couch that was past down to us from Jonathan's grandparents, and to match towels I had for the bathroom. After painting the top half of the room I realized I wanted something different for the bottom half of the walls. So I made a quick decision while at Lowe's that I wanted to try the Metallic paint that I saw the "Aqua Impressions" paint chip seem to blend so well with my first color. Let me tell you it took a lot of work to achieve this blingy, metallic color. One base coat of the top color, then 2 rolled on coats of the metallic paint, and it still could have used another coat to rid the streaks, but I was out of paint and figured furniture would cover most of the walls. We hung my black mirror shelf that I got on major clearance at Hobby Lobby. I purchased a tall black bookshelf that sits next to one of the windows. My mom and I plan to make a roman shade with some black and white fabric that I found. I love the calming feeling that this room now creates. I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time in this room. :)

Next came the bathroom next to this room. We replaced the cheap brass glamour bulb light fixture with the one seem in the picture and put on matching knobs and outlet plates.
We ended the week with the Master Bathroom. A while back I had picked up 3 cans of a dark neutral paint in the clearance section at Home Depot that worked perfectly with our bedroom colors. Next came the task of replacing the light fixture and mirrors. I had the wonderful idea to take down the solid glass mirror panel from the wall and put up 2 single mirrors over the sinks. Well come to find out, builders glue those mirrors pretty tightly to the wall. After researching on the internet...our only option look like it would be to break the mirror off and potentially damage the sheetrock. Didn't want to go there!! So, we improvised. The 2 mirrors were glued to the existing mirror and screwed in at the top. I figured I could use a dry erase marker and write messages or a quote in the center section of the old mirror that shows through. I see lots of creative options here. :)Oh, and we did paint 2 pieces of furniture. I spray painted the handed down yellow toy box a dark brown color to match the den furniture and painted Jonathan's old thrift store, passed around, huge, ugly brown desk. It now has a fresh coat of black paint and some new drawer pulls. Looks so nice now in the office, or as Jonathan would tell everyone...The office that I took over as a scrapbook room. :)
6 comments:
You've been working hard! It looks great!!!!
Everything looks so nice. You're right that a nice fresh coat of paint in the right color changes everything for the better. I really like the new mirrors in the bathroom. I'd like to do something like that in ours to update it, but not sure that my dh would go for it. I have a cheapo dresser drawer that we keep around for sentimental reasons more than anything else, but it's painted white - maybe I can spray paint it a different color and make it look nicer. Thanks for sharing with us. It was nice to see you at the store. When I heard you were moving, I was sad thinking I won't get to see you anymore. I'm glad to know that you'll still be at the store now and then!
Wow! Everything looks great. It is amazing how much better a few coats of paint can make a room look.:)
I love the blue walls. The two tones look great together. You've been very busy.
I need you to come to my house and get me inspired. Everything looks great!
The house looks great! I have no idea how you have accomplished all this! It all looks so good. These improvments will help if you ever resale the house.
Post a Comment